Law for Driving in Abroad

In order to drive abroad, you should be aware of the laws that govern driving in a particular country. The following are some of the country-specific rules:


· Vehicles should be fixed with winter tyres denoted M&S which means mud and snow. This is done on the flank wall at tread depth not exceeding 4mm as you drive between 1st November and 15th April.


· It is unlawful to drive a filthy car – although what filthy’ entails is quite unclear. 


· Visiting cars are obligated to buy a road tax called vignette and also drive over a liquid disinfectant as you enter the country, and a 12euro fee charged.


· Drivers in France are required to carry a breathalyser certified by French authority, which shows an NF’ number all times in their vehicles. One should be shown to police when requested therefore it is appropriate to have two with you in case one gets spoiled or you have to utilize one. 


· Kids below 12 years and lower than 1.5metres of height should be placed on a kid’s seat or utilize a kid restraint and must not sit at the anterior passenger seat except if the airbag is deactivated. 


· If your caravan or car has a bicycle rack at the rear or has a hanging load then you need to show a reflective, white and red transversely stripped panel which is square of 50 by 50cm. A fine is charged for those who fail to comply with this law.


· Someone who is under the stimulus of alcohol must never sit on the front seat as a passenger.


· Anyone with a maximum age of 18 who is not more than 1.35metres of height must never travel as a rear or front seat passenger except when utilizing a restraint system of their size.


· Kids below twelve and not more than 1.50metres of height should never travel on the front seat except if the car has no rear seat belts or is a two-seater.


· When you enter this country you must reveal your residential place, length of time you are planning to stay car details and pay a mandatory amount for road tax. This information is put on roadside cameras.


· If someone tows a trailer or caravan which surpasses 12metres of length then he/she must show 2 yellow reflectors on the back of the trailer or caravan. 


· Kids not more than 12years-old should utilize a UNECE regulation which is 44.03 certified kid restraint except if their heights are more than 1.5metres. Hitchhiking is not allowed on the motorways.


· Lower limits of speed, normally 20mph, are recommended near schools at certain day times when children are heading to or from school. The times usually range from 2.30pm to 3.30pm. This may as well be enforced away from school areas. Vehicles should also be parked on right hand sides of roads in the traffic direction.


· From the foregoing, it is now clear that prior to driving abroad one should be aware of the laws for driving in a particular country. Everyone should go for a DSA Practical before driving abroad in order to be well-versed with the laws for driving. Furthermore, you should also ensure that your car is insured.  

Posted in Law

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *